Friday, September 02, 2005

New Orleans Take Heart: The Celebrities Have Arrived!

I was watching ongoing coverage of the Hurricane diaster this a.m. and saw singers Harry Connick Jr. and Faith Hill interviewed on the Today Show.

Wow, we can all breathe a sigh of relief now -- the celebrities have taken notice!

Now, I have no doubt that both Mr. Connick and Ms. Hill -- both of whom have strong ties to the storm area -- are sincere in their expressions of sympathy for the storm victims and geniune anguish over the situation.

But to be honest, neither of them had anything particularly constructive to add to the dialog other than "gosh, it's just really, really awful and I wish we could help these people more and faster."

I mean, as we've watched the news footage of this human tragedy over the past four days, is there anyone among us who doesn't already get this?

"Wow, I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize how bad until I heard Harry say it's really, really bad..." Come on -- no one is saying that.

Perhaps they have something to share that will benefit the relief effort -- I believe Mr. Connick is performing in a benefit concert tonight -- but public commentary is not it.

I don't really blame them -- I blame the Today Show for pimping the disaster with celebrity interviews.

No comments: