Friday, April 07, 2006

Cynthia: Not Sorry

Georgia Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney reportedly "apologized" yesterday for assaulting a police officer last month.

The facts of the incident are these: McKinney entered a government building last month. She walked around a metal detector, which she is authorized to do as a member of Congress. Except she was not wearing the special ID tag that allows her to do so. A Capitol police officer, who did not recognize her, asked her to stopped. She declined. He put his hand on her to stop her. She slapped him.

Later, when called on it, she regrettably played the race card.

The fault here is clear: she's to blame. Now with her Democratic colleagues slowly backing away from her and a grand jury weighing criminal charges, she has issued an" apology."

Or did she?

Here's what she said: ''I am sorry that this misunderstanding happened at all, and I regret its escalation, and I apologize. There should not have been any physical contact in this incident.''

She then went on to talk about how she will vote for legislation providing funding for the Capitol police.

Not much of an apology. She says the words "sorry" and "apologize," but fails to take responsbility for the incident. There was a misunderstanding. An incident occurred. It should not have escalated. I regret that it happened. Note the use of passive voice.

THIS would be an apology: "I'm sorry. I should have been wearing my ID and I should have complied with the police officer's order to stop -- he was merely doing his job, trying to keep us all safe. And I should NEVER have raised a hand to him.

"I don't know what I was thinking, but I'm totally responsible for what happened. This was not about race or anything else other than my own behavior. I hope that fine officer will accept my personal apology and forgive me, and I hope you all will too. I can only assure you that this was a momentarily lapse of judgment on my part, and I will work daily to conduct myself in a manner more appropriate and responsible for a member for Congress."

She's welcome to use that one if she wants.

No comments: